"He must increase, but I must decrease."

Monday, August 16, 2010

My first day in English Literature

I thought I would share a little of my literature class with you.  These are mainly some quotes and points I found interesting.  I also wanted to give you all a little peek at what I am going to be reading this semester (because of this class).  I am looking forward to learning more about English literature! 

I hopefully can fit some of my own leisure reading into the semester but if I do not it will not be too bad a loss.  Happy Classes to those of you still in school!

Through Christ,

Lady Helen 

 

“The unexamined life is not worth living” ~Socrates 

“How do I know what I think until I see what I say?” ~E. M. Forster

 

The Four Marks of an Educated Person
Grayson Kirk

1. Speaks and writes clearly and precisely.

2. Has a set of values and the courage to defend them.

3. Tries to understand those who are different and views others with compassion and respect.

4. Looks squarely at the world and all of its problems, but always with hope.

 

The Books

--The Middle Ages

--The Dream of the Rood

--Beowulf    

--Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (I have to do a presentation of this)

--Geoffrey Chaucer and The Canterbury Tales

--Introduction and Prologue

--The Wife of Bath's Tale

--William Langland and The Vision of Piers Plowman

--Julian of Norwich and A Book of Showings

--Margery Kempe and The Book of Margery Kempe

--Sir Thomas Malory and Morte Darthur

--The Sixteenth Century

--Edmund Spenser and The Faerie Queene, Book I

--Christopher Marlowe and The Passionate Shepherd

--The Tragical History of Dr. Faustus

--William Shakespeare, Hamlet

--William Shakespeare, Sonnets

--The Early Seventeenth Century

--John Donne, Ben Jonson, George Herbert, Robert Herrick, and Andrew Marvell, Short selections TBA

--John Milton and Paradise Lost, Book I, continued

--The Restoration and the Eighteenth Century

--John Dryden and Mac Flecknoe

--Aphra Behn and The Disappointment

--Jonathan Swift and A Modest Proposal

--Alexander Pope and The Rape of the Lock

--Samuel Johnson and The Vanity of Human Wishes

--James Boswell's The Life of Samuel Johnson

--Thomas Gray and Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colossians 4:6
Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one.